The Chinese General Hospital Colleges (CGHC), formerly Chinese General Hospital College of Nursing and Liberal Arts (CGHCNLA), was founded in 1921 as the Chinese General Hospital School of Nursing (CGHSN). The idea was conceived by Dr. Jose Tee Han Kee, the Director of the Chinese General Hospital. With him were three physicians who organized the training school. Having been impressed with their work, Dr. Tee Han Kee requested the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception based in Hong Kong and Canton to help in starting the school. The first batch of five sisters arrived in August 1921. Mrs. Praxedes Co Tui, a registered nurse from the Philippine General Hospital was appointed as Chief Nurse and Principal of the School of Nursing.
Vision of the Founders
The vision of the founders for the establishment of a nursing school was to supply nurses for the Chinese General Hospital and Medical Center (CGHMC) to provide better nursing services thereby enhancing the hospital’s prestige. The CGHMC was one of the few most modern hospitals in the country then. The vision involved a nursing school that would be one of the best. This vision has expanded to include training programs for other health science related professions as well. Thus, the people behind the establishment of the school were noted for their idealism and commitment to competence and hard work.